Sunday, November 3, 2013

Delicious black bean brownies

           I clearly am really into trying new ingredients to make traditional food healthier, so black bean brownies didn't really scare me very much. But I am sure that this idea probably intimidates most. But trust me, they are really good. 

           Starting off, I banned my husband from the kitchen. I didn't want him to know that I was making the brownies out of black beans. He already knew I was making brownies so that was no surprise. After I made the brownies we sat down for our little dessert, and I waited for his response. He loved it. He was   impressed that I made such a great brownie from scratch. And then I dropped the bean bomb. You should of seen his face! It was priceless. He then decided that he should have three..because they were now good for him.






What you need:


makes 9 brownies. 
1 cupcake pan
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for the top
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup of sugar/splenda
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup Vegenaise 
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

(optional) 1/4 cup of walnuts
Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350F. Place cupcake tins in the cupcake pan. I always make my brownies in a cupcake pan so that every brownie has crispy edges with a gooey center.
Step 2
Drain and rinse the black beans. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. This will take about 90 seconds to a minute on the high power setting. They may not melt completely; stir vigorously to finish melting the chips until chocolate has a smooth and uniform consistency.



Step 3
Pour black beans and melted chocolate into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to pulse until completely smooth. 



Step 4
Pour into prepared cupcake tins about 1/2 way filled. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top. You can add optional walnuts to the top as well. Bake for 25 minutes until the top has cracked slightly and the center has set. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.




1 comment:

  1. Kristen made these for us for the holidays and they were amazingly excellent. We are cutting out extra sugar, so the chocolate chips were still a bit of a no no for us, but hey...It was Christmas!

    ReplyDelete